Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Hotel, 5 Minutes and a Little Grace

While I'm writing this, I'm laying in bed in my jammies with my baby girl.  She thinks I'm doing a lot of work haha!  What a week!  We've been on our first trip to Chattanooga and had a great time! But let me be totally honest. 4 days in a hotel with two small active children would make the most saintly mother crazy!  I know you'll be shocked, but the people in the room next to us called the front desk to complain about the noise....my response? This ain't the Ritz.  Kids are kids and it was 3 in the afternoon.  My kids think living in a hotel was the coolest thing ever!  They stayed up late, swam in the indoor pool a thousand hours and just plain ole had a grand time.  I enjoyed seeing them have a new experience.  We went to a kids museum where we learned about liquid density and dug for fossils! We spent the day in Knoxville with old friends shopping for new babies (always a favorite of mine). Mostly we spent 4 days as a family just hangin out.

What I wouldn't give for just 5 minutes alone in the bathroom with out SOMEONE calling my name haha!  The weekend was full of new experiences for me too!  Namely how do I balance their need for me with my need to potty alone?  At one point they were both standing out side the bathroom door talking to me at the same time AAHHHHH!!!  So we made a new rule...when mommy is in the potty no one can talk to her.  That lasted twice....sigh...oh well...at least they want to talk to me.  And once we got home yesterday it was better.  Thank you God for giving a super nice home with lots of room....and doors that lock!  What a great time I've had and what a blessing to be learning through the struggles and growing pains.

I've learned this week a whole new appreciation for God's Grace. How undeserving I am to have been given such a gift.  I was reminded of this gift shortly after the bathroom incident (when everyone was trying to talk to me through the hotel bathroom door).  It was on day 3 of our hotel stay and sadly, I flat lost it.  I must have looked like a crazy lady yelling at everyone to "just give me 5 freakin minutes alone in the bathroom to my self!"  Of course then everyone scattered (as far as they could in a tiny hotel room). Immediately I was reminded that I do the same thing to God.  With little or no patience I talk to Him and tell Him what I need and when and how much and for how long and why not now and can't you hurry and do you HEAR ME? And He never. loses. patience. Instead of yelling at me, my Father patiently listens to every request and when I throw a fit like my 4 year old He calmly waits then offers me Grace.  An undeserved reaction of love and peace when I deserve a swift kick in the butt.  This was never more evident than when (after my 5 minutes haha) I came out and apologized to my kids, who where quick to come hug me and my 8 year old said "it's ok mommy, we still love you" Wow...how humbling.  God uses my kids everyday in amazing ways to teach me that I'm no different from them with I'm in my relationship with Him.  I'm thankful today that I am not who I was, grateful that I have people who love me as I am, and so very excited about who God is working me into being.  With His help, one day I will be all I was created to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment